Highland School, situated on a commanding hill overlooking the town of Greeneville, was the third elementary school established in Greeneville. Currently, it is the oldest elementary school still in operation. Highland has undergone many changes since its inception as growth in population has triggered expansion and re-expansion of the school.
Highland School opened its doors to students for the first time in the fall of 1933. The Greeneville Board of Education rented the first floor of a private residence at 205 Highland Avenue. This building housed grades one through three.
In 1939, a residence was purchased at 208 Highland Avenue which became the core of the present Highland School. This building was renovated into a four room school which housed grades one through four.
In 1953, a full-time principal was employed for the first time. Then, in 1955 a brick and block construction was built to replace the old four room frame residence. A new addition was constructed in 1959, due to an increase in population.
In 1973, the school accommodated 334 pupils in grades one through six. The site was too small and the playground space was limited. The next year, the sixth-grade classes were moved to Greeneville Middle School in order to eliminate the over-crowded conditions. Highland School was then organized as a K-5 school.
In the late 70's and early 80's, property was acquired that increased the playground size. Also many renovations took place including; new heating and cooling units installed, shelter over stairway to teachers' lounge, parking lot paved, and carpet was installed.
In the fall of 1996, Highland adopted the year-round concept. The school calendar follows four terms, each consisting of approximately nine weeks with approximately three weeks in between for breaks. In the fall of 2012, Highland returned to the traditional calendar.
In the Spring of 2013, Highland returned to the traditional calendar in order for dates in school to match more closely with state testing dates.
The following people have served as principal of the school during its long history.
Mrs. Louise Donaldson
Mr. Roy Reynolds
Mr. A. C. Duggins
Mrs. Louise C. Chamberlain
Mr. Terry Sams
Dr. Brenda Thompson (Smith) Gulledge
Mr. Larry G. Neas
Mrs. Brenda Ottinger